Sandal Running: Behind the Madness

   Introduction...

    Oh yeah, this is the one you all have been waiting for! An explanation into the craziness that is sandal running and why I do it. A simplistic and natural way to approach running, but is often regarded as unbelievable and crazy to the common eye. I can't tell you how many people look at me like I'm some insane madman on the loose. The encounters you get on the trail are well... interesting to say the least. 

    Never am I greeted with a hello, but a "holy shit, is that guy wearing flip flops.." or, "oh my goodness, please be careful, and watch your toes!!" Like Ma'am ya think I don't know that? Thanks for the tip... Every once in a while you' ll come across someone that appreciates it, however that is not what I am seeking wearing sandals at all. I am seeking natural, healthy, and injury-free running. And you my friend, are about to find out why ;)

    How I got my start in sandals...

    So yes, how did I get into the sandals? How did I find out about them?.. etc. So my very first memory was back in 2016. It was at my first ultra race experience. No, I was not racing, I was a spectator. Way before I was a so called "runner." This was my fathers first attempt at a 50 miler and I came at the end to support! 

    As me and my friend Josiah were watching the runners come in as we waited, we caught a glimpse of a select few wearing what looked like sandals. I couldn't believe my eyes at the time. I was dumbfounded, really confused, and was telling myself "there's no way they just ran all the way in those.." but I couldn't have been more wrong. At the time, I was a high schooler, pretty close minded, and I thought nothing of it or at least forgot about it quick. That was until I became an ultra runner...

    As I explained in my last post, 2020 was the year I became a true ultra runner. I started as most would. A complete rookie, not knowing much about anything really. I just picked up whatever running shoes I had lying around and off I went. The beginning was rough and I went through so many injuries wearing normal shoes. As all runners know injuries are the absolute worst thing and it really is heartbreaking when you want to run but you can't. Injuries were what made me despise running when I was younger, so I wasn't about to let myself be ruined and burnt-out by injury again. 

    After about 3 or 4 injuries I kinda hit my limit. I was getting so angry and it seemed like every time I started to get back another injury would pop up. So after getting severe plantar fasciitis, I became a self proclaimed foot health expert.... Obviously not really, hence the "self proclaimed." But I put in hours upon hours of research in injury prevention, proper form, breathing, you name it! I soon learned about barefoot running, natural form, and things you can do to improve it!  I stumbled upon running sandals(earth runners) that were branded not only to the runner, but really to do anything and anyone. I rediscovered the sandal running movement years later. 

   After realizing all of the amazing benefits(I will soon touch base on) that running with sandals can have, I was hooked you can say, an instant believer. After reading the philosophy and some scientific evidence out there, I knew it was something I had to do or at least try. I stumbled upon sandals called "Earth Runners." I purchased them and never looked back.

    The philosophy...

    From what I was reading, it was almost a no brainer for an endurance athlete like myself to want the benefits that sandals could give you. So the theory goes like this ok... Sandals basically mimic being barefoot which is essentially the best thing for your feet(and entire body) to perform as naturally and as efficiently as possible.  I know that sounds crazy at first, but really think about it. 

    Our ancestors and the human species have been here a long time. Do you think the cavemen were wearing "HOKA ONE ONE Speedgoats" to catch their prey in a fast manner? Hell no if you ask me. Our ancestors were barefoot, walking, running, adapting, as they were meant to be. Sure footwear has been around a long time, but it was always minimal barefoot-wear that didn't alter the human body's natural movement. Hence, the sandals! Barefoot, minimal-wear that doesn't alter my natural way to move on this earth.

    Myself and the barefoot/sandal running community basically believe that modern running shoes are the cause of most injury. I know that might sound weird because you've been told by doctors your whole life that your feet need excessive cushion and support to work properly, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Cushion, corrective shoes, inserts, all that stuff is no good folks. 

    I ain't no doctor but these are just some of the questions I was asking myself. How can your foot perform well if its at a 3 degree or 6 degree drop(most modern running shoes??) It wont, it will put excessive force on your calves, or pressure elsewhere when you try to correct it.  Is the cushion really absorbing the ground impact and making you lighter on your feet? Hell no... It does the exact opposite. Cushion isn't absorbing anything at all, it just directs that pressure elsewhere. Ankles weren't meant to be wrapped and suffocated(high top shoes.) They are supposed to be able to bend, twist, etc. BE NATUAL. I mean that really is the key. So simple, yet so misunderstood.

    The human body is such an amazing thing. Over years upon years of adaption We were made to be barefoot, be minimal, adapt to various terrain, etc. Why would you ever want to alter something like that? It makes no sense if you ask me when you say it out loud. 

    How sandals saved me...

   As I stated previously, injury was really what led me to rediscovering Earth Runners(running sandals.) I actually didn't intend on using them at all for running at first. I figured I'd build up strength with them if I used them as a normal shoe, which I did. So I walked, hiked, and basically did everything in them. The point was to get my feet strong so they can endure more for running. I still wasn't a full believer that running in sandals was an all around good thing.

    It wasn't until after my first 50k, a couple weeks later, I experienced the worst injury I have ever gotten. There was something that wasn't right about my meniscus. I could hardly put weight on it at times, and the pain would come and go. This was the last and final straw with shoes. I basically just blamed all my problems on shoes. I was just so angry that I couldn't run! I wanted to do everything in my power to run without injury.

    So after that meniscus issue, I became a full fledged sandal runner! I didn't run at all in them really, so my plan was to start slow. Like really slow. I started with about 20 miles a week and only added about 5 extra every week! I did this for a while, all while my meniscus was still fucked. I got up probably to about 45 miles a week. I was pushing through so much pain probably for close to a month, every single run. My meniscus had nothing to do with the sandals. The injury started with normal shoes. It was not an easy transition at all, but one that had to be made if I wanted to become the best endurance athlete I can be.

    I was more committed than ever to running. But I still had this damn knee problem. I then got in my head, that taking days off was what my body didn't like. I know that sounds ridiculous, but every single time I took a day off, my injury would get worse. And that's a fact. Once I noticed somewhat of a trend going on, I decided I was going to run everyday. Then something crazy happened.

    I started my run streak and it couldn't have went any better. I started easy, only doing 2 miles or so a day.. I was feeling really strong and I liked the consistency. After about two weeks of running everyday, my meniscus flare ups were non-existent! I couldn't believe it, my injury has gone away! Two months of pretty constant pain, gone just like that! And no, not from rest, but the exact opposite. And, this was all done in sandals. My training really propelled forward after what I called "the building phase."    

    As far as statistics and pace go, my times have never been faster. That seems to be the biggest concern when transitioning. You think there is no way that you'll be faster, but I proved myself wrong. I've been constantly hitting new PRs every week, hitting times that I would have never thought possible. These sandals are true mountain goats, or at least make you feel like one!

   Final thoughts...

    In recent times. I have been running about 50 miles a week on average with relative ease. I peaked at 70 miles and ended up doing 250+ miles for the month of December! It doesn't feel hard on my body like it used to. I have never felt more strong and more confident in my running. I haven't received an injury since I switched to sandals. Maybe sandals aren't for everyone, but they sure have helped me and made me a better runner. 

    I truly believe that running in sandals/barefoot/naturally can have tremendous benefits on your training. And as I said before, I cant say sandals are the only reason, but it's the knowledge that comes with it! I've become quite knowledgeable on the subject! And anyone that runs in sandals would be too.  It really has done a great deal for me and I am forever grateful that I stumbled upon the running sandal movement. If I hadn't who knows, I probably would have quit running again by now. 

As always thanks for reading. I appreciate each and every single one of you :)



    sincerely,

    ya boi mottsy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment